Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Screw noodles (et al.)

Aesthetically pleasing? Sure. Making me hungry? Not so much.

So Sunday night was (as it was, is and evermore shall be) Family Chinese & Movie Night. And after not having had a single item with flour or sugar in it (except for the aforementioned baked sweet things from Babysis) for a good week, I figured it was time for a break. After all, the last time I went on a serious (then Zone-based) health kick, I kept this tradition as my one vice all week, and still did pretty well. So having one wheat-and-soy-based meal out of the entire week, while avoiding it all the rest, isn't too bad, right?

The answer to that question is: blearrrrgh.

Holy shit. I felt so ridiculously bogged down - like the sick, too-full feeling you get after a bigger-than-it-should-have-been meal, but it didn't go away. I couldn't even eat my usual second helping - my taste for the flavors hasn't changed, but I just felt like I literally could not stomach any more.

However...

It's been slowly dawning on me for the past several days (what? i've been working!) that...that's how I always feel after FC&M Night. It was only with the week-long cleanse that eating only ridiculous amounts of veggies and salmon and fruit and nuts (and NO wheat or soy or caffeine or sugar or what have you) will give you that I could even realise it. Which means that, compared to the way I'm feeling now, I would have felt just as sick and heavy and bogged down on any given day of my life.

Yeah.

This is something to ponder.

For now, though, I have to go get dental surgery. I swear by all that is dear and holy that I will provide a Crossfit update later today! This round has been pretty awesome, and we're already halfway done with it and haven't said anything! I am a bad bad athlete-blogger, I know. But that will be remedied. I promise.

-N

2 comments:

  1. I think it's probably the MSG in the chinese food that bogs you down. Not the wheat and soy. But I'm biased because I'm a pasta freak.

    Good luck with the surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanne: I might agree with that, except the place we go to has been around for years and is semi-known for not having MSG in their stuff. As grains go, it's still fairly low-grade, however - no artisanal sourdough noodles, these! - so that might be the case as well.

    Thanks! It didn't go as badly as I thought it would. ;P

    ReplyDelete