Friday, June 29, 2012

Starting fresh

This is not for you.*

This is the way this blog came into being: as a simple food-mood-exercise log.  It expanded way past that eventually, and there was a point when I was really proud of how things were moving along.  But things change, and now it seems like this incredibly basic function is the one thing that might actually get me writing something on a regular basis again.  I keep wanting to write these big interesting posts, but especially as my prose skills have waned with disuse, that often proves to be too much pressure and I end up drafting tons of stuff but very rarely finishing and publishing any of it.

Here's what I had to eat today.  If this bores you, I'm sorry, but I'm not changing it.  Hopefully things will get more interesting in time (especially if I forget to correct my autocorrect, which wanted me to say "hopefully things Erroll hey!" at the beginning of this sentence).  But here's where it's at right now, and indefinitely.

BREAKFAST
Approximately a cup each of leftover roasted chicken with a little schmalz and butter and lactofermented sauerkraut.  A cup of coffee with milk and cream - both raw (unpasteurized), with the cream so thick you have to scoop it out with a spoon.  A cup of homemade raw whole milk kefir.  The incessant whining of the dog telling me that her stomach is literally about to implode (despite the bowl of food she had 10 minutes ago) and if I give her just one piece of chicken it will save her life!!!

LUNCH
One zucchini's worth of zucchini hash, one piece of beef heart and a chicken liver for good measure, all cooked in butter. A small handful of almonds that I soaked and dried, plus a couple Brazil nuts.  Two glasses of uncultured milk.

Exercise: just got back from a lovely hour spent at the Eno with the dog, mostly walking with some running bouts and a nice 5-minute soak in some surprisingly cold water.  I got that crazy zombie running app that all the kids are talking about these days and I absolutely love it.  I'm usually a proponent of listening to nothing but your breath and footsteps while running through the woods, but this thing actually has me excited about exercise again, and it's a little embarrassing how big a deal that is.

DINNER
More sauerkraut and chicken (1.5 c and about 2/3 c, respectively).  One baked-in-the-shell egg (SO much less time-intensive than boiling them!). A little cold butter, chopped up and sprinkled on after this picture was taken.  One glass of kefir.  Not shown: a half glass of kvass, which is this salty lactofermented beet juice that's supposed to be a nice probiotic tonic.  My fridge is brimming with it right now.  Everything is very cold because it's ridiculously hot and my apartment only has window AC units.  Ice bath tonight...

I "cheated" on paleo today with about a half of a freshly-baked pretzel and several glasses of lemonade.  My excuse was that I had to taste-test them (I'm a baker, and this is a fairly new recipe that's still in the perfecting stage), and it's freaking hot and I needed to stay hydrated.  Problems with that?  I don't need more than a finger-joint's worth of pretzel to assess taste, and any more than that makes my stomach go kaPOOF! which it totally did.  Which always happens.  And it's never fun.  And in this case I don't even like pretzels, so the taste didn't even make up for the unhappy belly.  As for the lemonade, I just need to suck it up and drink some damn water already.

Bonus points to anyone who 1. reads this, 2. *can name the reference in the first line and 3. can tell me how to use the Android Blogger app so that the pictures appear where I want them to.

-N




No comments:

Post a Comment